Choosing Breast Implant Size
There are several factors to consider when choosing breast implant size. Women have heard of many breast augmentation patients that regret not choosing implants large enough when they had their original surgery. Many opted for breast revision surgery to get larger implants.
Before seeking breast revision surgery to increase implant size, it is recommended that women wait until they become used to their implants and many find once they do they are happy with the size.
Plastic Surgeons Consider Issues With Large Breast Implants
For women who still choose to have larger implants, the surgeon will be considering issues such as:
• The dimensions of the breast and chest wall
• How much skin and soft tissue is available to cover the implants
• Distance between the nipples
• The location of the nipples and the breast fold in relation to the chest wall
Large Breast Implants Come With Risks
There are numerous risks involved that patients need to be aware of when choosing extra-large breast implants; there are increased risks for:
• Loss of nipple sensation, the implants can place too much pressure on the nerves to the nipples
• Breast ptosis or sagging in the long term
• Rippling or visible creases
• Thinning of the breast tissue
• Stretching of the skin
• Loss of the natural inframammary fold
• Bottoming out
• Formation of a double bubble
• Higher incidence of capsular contracture
• Visibility of the implants through the tissues
• Visibility of veins in the breasts
Another unwanted risk for some women who go too big too fast is stretch marks that are irreversible. The weight of extra-large implants needs to be considered as they may cause neck, back, and shoulder pain, which is what women who seek breast reduction surgery complain about. It is noted that extra-large implants do not have a natural feel, they are much firmer.
Trust Your Cosmetic Plastic Surgeon
In deciding on breast implant size, patients should trust their board certified plastic surgeon to help them determine how large they can go without increasing the risks that come with very large implants.
Dr. Miguel Delgado, M.D. has been performing breast revision surgery since 1988 and has guided many women in making the right choice for breast implants.
Call Dr. Delgado Today
If you are considering breast augmentation or breast revision surgery, call Dr. Delgado (415) 898-4161 for a consultation so he can explain what he sees as the best choice for you based on your goals.